Wednesday, July 1, 2015

#LoveWins Diversity for A Diverse World

With the recent decision to allow same sex marriage has been a myriad of 'opinions' from different parties  of different racial disparities and religion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs but at what point do we recognize that these decisions are those of the individuals participating in matters and those who are directly affected rather than everyone who has an opinion. I've heard many state in defense of their opposition that it is against God and that it is not right, we are leading the children down the paths of hell, and so forth. I'd like to share with all of you a story, or my personal observations on the outlook of a child with gay parents in today's modern society. While this is just a story and will not mean much to many this story happens to be that of my personal life that I'm sharing in the hopes of not changing anyone's mind or beliefs but their approach and outlook on what is right as opposed to what is condoned.  
I grew up in a small, close knit community; everyone mostly knows everyone and who doesn't know each other knows their family. Myself included, many know me as my mother's daughter or even my grandmothers granddaughter as I now reside in an apartment that she taught members of the this very same community in for years at one time before her retirement. While I do not resemble my mother, nor do we have many of the same views, I still have always been known as her daughter within our neighborhood and abroad in the territory as well. Growing up a little girl with a mother whose choice of 'style' was that of a man's wasn't easy due to teasing from my peers and other adolescents, also every once in a while a teacher would too chime in on their thoughts from my mother's lifestyle and wardrobe. I explicitly remember once sitting in my mother's car in the backseat trying to shrink myself down in size as she came to her boiling point (which does not happen often) after school one day with some men that decided to 'test her masculinity'. Needless to say these incidents did not change my mother's stance, nor my opinion of my mother; regardless of her sexual orientation or who she chose to have as her partner we always had food on the table, name brand clothes on our backs and shoes to match ( and in the closet), an appreciation for books and education, and last but not least we grew up with the realization that the struggle of diversity wasn't over. 
As I grew older I learned not to shrink in the backseat anymore for it was not my behavior worthy of being embarrassed but those who were making the condescending remarks and living lives of hypocrisy themselves. As children we always went to church, with or without our mother who at times worked weekends to ensure our family was never less than another or without necessities; it was there that we learned acceptance for diversity, race, religion, and love. So why do many assert that same sex anything is against God? God didn't make my mother unloving, undeserving, nor an instigator so isn't she allotted love and respect too? For doing all things that mothers do? For not being any less of a woman but for invoking more of what many wish they had at home in their closets, under their beds, or in their hearts; the power to teach that of love and acceptance.  
I implore everyone to use this time to think about the strides the human race has made and how far we still have to come as far as acceptance of race, gender, religion, and other diverse factors and the implications of repercussions if things continue the way they are any further. The civil rights movement ended so many years ago, but we still see the opposition rallying against change; don't be the opposition on this matter. Spread the message of love and acceptance and show the world that things can change. The bible was also once the backbone of every argument for slavery and segregation, don't you think it is time we use the good book for positive purposes rather than to promote negativity 


No comments:

Post a Comment