Thursday, February 26, 2015

RETRACTION: Excessive Corporal Punishment in U.S.V.I

       So I sincerely feel the need to apologize to my readers as well as the educators at the Yvonne Bowsky Elementary School, located within our territory, with regards to a blog post published last Sunday due to reports received and read (from various publications based within the territory and teachers) about the use of corporal punishment by a principal on one of their students which is in fact, NOT TRUE. We were delighted to hear that while the video and comments attached to it and articles on the subject may depict a much more gruesome scene it was actually nothing like illustrated, but an actual crude offense made by another to seem so. While the screams and cries in the video were completely real they were the result of a tired student trying to pt his way out of the punishment received, which I am told was raising his arms above his head for long periods of time. I would like to also take this opportunity while acknowledging that my opinions were in fact biased because of my stance on corporal punishment to note that those were my only objections and I'm sure many would agree as we've seen in recent senate legislations world wide and at home that a change in our schools policies and procedures with respects to such is much needed.

The views expressed within this blog are solely those of Ms. Child Advocate and does not reflect on any of her affiliations. For more on the U.S Virgin Islands read Too Much Violence And Abuse In Our SchoolsToo Much Violence: Shootings Near USVI Preschools, andEducational Institutions Need New Blood.


No comments:

Post a Comment